Wednesday 12 August 2009

If

This is what I've been thinking about recently. Can we recognise God speaking to us, because he says 'If'. For example... "If my people who are called by my name..." (2 Chron 7:14) "(If you) seek, you will find. (If you) knock, the door will be opened" (Matt 7:7 - Thanks to Mandy for that contribution) I've been wondering. Can we recognise the voice of God, because he gives us a choice. Another example? The Psalms are full of 'Let us...'

The World, and the enemy don't give us a choice. At least, they don't want to. Everything is 'must have', or 'irresistable'. Speaking of temptation... How often do we feel we don't have a choice? How often does the enemy TELL us that we don't have a choice. "You have to" Temptation is too much for us (It's a lie btw... you don't have to at all)

So, that's what I'm thinking. Paul felt compelled to go to Jerusalem. (Acts 20:22+23 I am going to Jerusalem, bound by the [Holy] Spirit and obligated and compelled by the [convictions of my own] spirit, not knowing what will befall me there-- Except that the Holy Spirit clearly and emphatically affirms to me in city after city that imprisonment and suffering await me AMP)

Is it reading between the lines too much to suggest that God said to Paul "If you go to Jerusalem, it won't be a fun time. There will be prison and pain" (That's the StJames Paraphrase version)
Then, Agabus gives him a Prophecy about the terrible things that will happed IF he goes to Jerusalem and tell him not to go. Tells him God is warning him not to go, so Paul says "I hold myself in readiness not only to be arrested and bound and imprisoned at Jerusalem, but also [even] to die for the name of the Lord Jesus" (21:13 AMP) or "Yea, God's already told me what he wants, so I'm doing it" (StJames Paraphrase Version)

So, what do you think. Because it seems to me, when God want's to direct us, he tells us the choice. He doesn't command us, he just says what he wan'ts and sometimes what will happen.

1 comment:

  1. God has REALLY been speaking to me a LOT about choices recently - particularly choices about my REACTIONS to stuff actually. I have nothing coherent to add... I just wanted to identify with these thoughts :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete